Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android | Email |
Public Speaking For Profitable Lead Gen With Matthew Kimberley
Share This Episode
Related / Mentioned Podcast Episodes:
Key Points (Timestamps)
- 00:52 — Intro and overview
- 01:16 — Why public speaking is such a powerful tool when it comes to lead generation
- 05:00 — Public speaking can move the audience in many more ways than any other medium.
- 05:03 — “It’s not particularly efficient, but it is incredibly effective.” Matthew Kimberley on public speaking
- 09:13 — “When people pay, they pay attention.” Matthew Kimberley
- 10:23 — You don’t have to be a natural speaker to be a good public speaker but it certainly helps if you enjoy basking in the limelight.
- 12:44 — When you get on stage as a public speaker, you’ve got to deliver on the promise you make.
- 13:44 — What we mean by the term “delivering on the promise” as a speaker
- 14:03 — The importance of having a big idea and a big promise as a public speaker as taught by Michael Port and Amy Port (Heroic Public Speaking)
- 15:53 — You have to meet your audience where they are as a public speaker.
- 16:05 — Empathy is very important to be a successful public speaker.
- 18:44 — Why Matthew Kimberley believes that TED speakers could dramatically improve their talks if they added better delivery to their “expert” talks as speakers
- 19:58 — The difference between selling and performing on stage while public speaking
- 20:32 — There are certain buttons you need to push to sell during your presentation to get people into the buying mode:
- Get a series of small commitments leading to a greater commitment
- Create Urgency
- Create Scarcity
- Provide Social proof
- Take people on a journey
- Train your audience
- 23:00 — How magnetic messaging can actually attract the right audience and repel the wrong audience
- 26:31 — How to become a better public speaker and specific actions you can take to improve your speaking
- 27:53 — Find a great teacher who is an expert at public speaking
- Do directed rehearsals
- Don’t have more than 2-3 presentations at any one time
- Study improvisation
- How to address audience questions
- Learn how to stand on stage
- Don’t rehearse in front of a mirror
- Do rehearse in front of a group of people
- Get your script reviewed by a script consultant or copywriter
- Rehearse your presentation so you know it backwards
- Rehearse your material over and over
- Analyse your own past presentations to learn from them
- Read books on storytelling
- Read books on sales
- Attend webinars on how to become a better speaker
- 34:24 — The biggest challenges people face when it comes to becoming a good speaker and how to overcome them
- 36:33 — It’s important to make a big promise and over deliver as a public speaker.
- 38:06 — You’ve got to know your material inside out when public speaking.
- 39:13 — Books that have had the biggest impact on Matthew and why
- 42:27 — How listeners can find out more about Matthew Kimberley