Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android | Email |
How To Use ‘Crowd Thinking’ To Launch Your Membership Site
Our guest today is a physical education teacher from country Victoria Australia, with a passion and enthusiasm for the role emerging technologies play within teaching and learning. We featured him as an expert back in episode 79 where we talked about how to use “crowd thinking” to launch your membership site. It’s been such a popular episode and I enjoyed talking to him so much I had to have him back. Today’s guest is known throughout the online community as “The PE Geek”, and authors a blog of the same name at www.thepegeek.com. Jarrod Robinson
designed, developed and marketed over 60 mobile apps for Android and iOS downloaded over 500,000 times.
He also has a very successful recurring income business which offers information products.
Share this Episode
Related Podcast Episodes
Key Points (Timestamps)
- 00:50 – Introduction and Overview
- 06:36 – Jarrod Robinson shares insights around how to build a prolific recurring business.
- 04:43 – Your Effective Hourly Rate: The metric for deciding whether to do something or don’t do something
- 06:56 – How the “Effective Hourly Rate” concept helped Jarrod Robinson decide which products to focus on
- 08:11 – Jarrod Robinson explains how he invented his niche in phys ed training.
- 09:22- How Jarrod Robinson is using the recurring paid subscription model to develop a profitable and valuable training platform
- 10:43 – Understanding your market as an important thing to consider in pricing
- 11:23 – The kind of content that Jarrod has inside his recurring membership site
- 12:16 – The discussion around the content within a membership site is probably more important than the content itself.
- 12:36 – How much content you need before you start a recurring membership site
- 14:14 – How the “Crowd Thinking” Model can be very effective in creating content within a membership site
- 16:05 – The Product First vs Audience First approach, and the hybrid of the two approaches
- 19:42 – Why selling lifetime memberships is a bad idea as opposed to recurring memberships
- 20:25 – What’s the minimum viable audience for a successful membership community?
- 21:27 – “The best way to own a niche is to invent it.” – Jarrod Robinson
- 24:57 – How to decide which content to create in-house and which content creation to outsource for a membership site
- 26:13 – How super users within a membership site can benefit by creating content within the membership site
- 27:47 – How to deal with the issue of who “owns the content” within a membership site that is created by other members
- 30:00 – How Jarrod Robinson decides on how polished his content should be
- 31:31 – The key elements of a successful recurring income business
- 32:55 – How to overcome the biggest challenges people face when starting a recurring income business
- 33:51- Exactly why Jarrod Robinson believes that niching and focusing on specific results are the keys to his success
- 37:21 – Why it’s important to understand how to apply Darren Rowse’s A and B avatar to the membership model
- 41:55 – Ash Roy recaps key actions the listeners can take from this episode
- 44:15 – Books that have a significant impact to Jarrod Robinson and why
- 48:35 – How to find out more about Jarrod Robinson