Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 31:24 — 28.8MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android | Email |
Hiten Shah — Cofounder of Kissmetrics — How To Assess If The Software As A Service (SAAS) Business Model Is Right For You
Hiten Shah is an expert in SAAS – also known as software as a service, content and growth hacking. He’s the co-founder of kissmetrics.com and crazy egg which allows you analyze the behaviour of your visitors on your websites through heat maps based on visitor clicks. He’s worked with high-profile clients and has been known about his excellent in the growth hacking area. He’s also got a weekly newsletter called SAAS weekly where he shares relevant content for anyone who’s interested in SAAS as a business. His blog is called hitenism.com I’ve had the honour of speaking with his co-founder at KISSmetrics on the first episode that was Neil Patel.
Key points (with timestamps)
- 2:33 – Ash introduces Hiten Shah, co-founder of kissmetrics.
- 3:24 – Hiten Shah talks about his entrepreneurial journey and how he arrived at the SAAS model.
- 5:22 – The recurring income/subscription aspect of SAAS businesses.
- 6:43 – Microsoft 365 and the Adobe licensed SAAS model
- 7:32 – How does an entrepreneur evaluate SAAS as a business model for their business?
- 8:44 – A good framework to think about whether or not SAAS is a good solution for a business
- 10:06 – Hiten’s take on Facebook as a free SAAS product
- 12:10 – IBM’s tiny microchip – Comparable to the size of DNA and implications on SAAS!
- 13:36 – Moore’s law is already broken.
- 14:59 – Hiten’s interview with Leo Babauta about his dad – an anesthetist with an entrepreneurial mindset
- 15:30 – Biggest challenges in getting started with software as a service and what’s worked best with overcoming them
- 17:50 – It pays to solve the problem without software first and then automate it with software. But make sure you can solve the problem first.
- 19:37 – How to use customer development to gauge the problems they’re facing and how they can solve them – a step by step guide
- 21:36 – Ash talks about Ryan Levesque‘s ‘Ask Methodology’.
- 22:29 – Ash asks about quick wins that the listeners can take if they want to get started with SAAS.
- 25:55 – “Is the software solving a legitimate problem?”
- 26:28 – Software is just a tool (to execute on a solution).
- 26:52 – Ash asks about what books had the biggest impact to Hiten.
- 28:21 – How to get in contact with Hiten
If you enjoyed this podcast, please share it with your friends. Your referral is the ultimate compliment!