It’s funny how breakthroughs in productivity come from the most unlikely turn of events.
Several years ago I broke a finger.
And I found myself struggling to use the mouse at work.
Navigating around the computer screen was painfully slow (pun intended).
I had to find a way of working smarter.
Well, as they say, necessity is the mother of invention. Before long I had mastered keyboard shortcuts on my PC (which is what I was using at the time). My digital life was never the same again.
Using keyboard shortcuts is one of the best time saving hacks I’ve come across. It’s probably right up there with my other favourite hacks which include using Dragon Dictate to save time in typing on the keyboard, Divvy for screen management which saves oodles of time in minimising and resizing screens, or my Top 15 iPhone Siri voice commands to save you an hour a week on your iPhone.
Here are some very useful keyboard shortcuts for your Mac. (Are you a PC user? Check out these 57 keyboard shortcuts to turn you into an Excel Ninja!) . At a guess I would estimate that I save over 15 minutes each day using keyboard
shortcuts (rather than reaching for my mouse each time I want to navigate to a different portion of the screen).
Over a period of a week this adds up to 75 minutes assuming a 5 day work week – which is well over an hour in saved time.
And as they say … time is money. 🙂
So here are 45 insanely useful time and money saving keyboard shortcuts for your Mac. (Note that these shortcuts are valid for Mac OSX Mavericks as at 24th Jan 2014)
- Flip between open applications – Command+ tab
- Flip Between Windows in Current Application – Command+`
- Minimize current window – Command+ M
- Hide all other app windows – Command + Option + H
- Close current window – Command + W
- Close all other open windows (besides currently open application) – Command + Option + H (Use Command + tab to reactivate previously open applications)
- Bring up the preferences window in the application you’re currently in – Command + ,
- Hide and unhide the Dock – Command + Option + D
- Activate Spotlight on your mac – Command + Space (Check out the Alfred app – it’s spotlight on steroids. Highly recommended!)
- Activate Mission Control – Control + Up Arrow
- Select Safari’s address / URL field to quickly enter a URL – Command + L
- Mark messages as read or unread in Mail app – Command + Shift + U
- Check for information on a particular file within Finder – Command + I
- Check for information on multiple files within Finder – Command + Option + I (just keep clicking on different file to show information for that file)
- To open a file in it’s native application without clicking (from within finder) – Command + Down Arrow
- To jump across whole word quickly – Option + Left Arrow (or Right Arrow)
- To select a whole word at a time – Shift + Option + Left Arrow (or Right Arrow)
- Open a second tab within a Safari session – Command + T
- Jump between open tabs in Safari – Command + Shift + ] (or [)
- Put your Mac to sleep – Command + Option + Eject (If your keyboard doesn’t have an Eject button then use the power button)
- To grab a screenshot of the entire screen and save the image to your desktop – Command + Shift + 3
- To grab a screenshot of a selected area of your screen – Command + Shift + 4 (and then drag the cursor over the area you want to take a screenshot of. Once you release the mouse the screenshot will automatically be copied to your desktop)
- To take a screenshot of just one window on your screen – Command + Shift + 4 + Spacebar
- Empty trash when in Finder – Command + Shift + Delete
- Force computer to Empty trash (so you don’t get warnings) – Command + Option + Shift + Delete
- To automatically generate a new email message with a link to the page you’re browsing when in Safari – Shift + Command + I
- Look up a word in the dictionary – Control + Command + D
Now for some Symbols:
- To create not equals to symbol (≠) – Option + =
- To create a plus or minus sign (±)- Shift + Option + +
- To create the infinity symbol (∞) – Option + 5
- To create ellipses (…) – Option + ;
- To create the dividing symbol (÷) – Option + ?
- To create equal to or greater than symbol (≥) – Option + >
- To create equal to or lower than (≤) – Option + <
- To create a Pi sign (π) – Option + P
- To create a circumflex (ˆ) – Option + I
- To create Tilde (˜) – Option + N
- To create an inverted question mark (¿) – Option + Shift + ?
- To create a registered trademark symbol ((®) – Option + R
- To create a copyright symbol (©) – Option + G
- To create a bullet point symbol (•) – Option + 8
- To create a dagger for footnotes (†) – Option + T
- To create the greek letter delta (∂) – Option + D
- To create the greek letter Beta (ß) – Option + S
- To create the greek letter Omega (Ω) – Option + Z
What Keyboard shortcuts do you use to save yourself time? Is there anything you’d like to add to this list? I’d love to hear from you in the comments section below!