Dropbox is an extremely simple but powerful tool when it comes to accessing your data. It works like a “magic pocket that follows you wherever you go”
Here’s how it works (Check out a video on how it works):
- Create a free dropbox account at www.dropbox.com which takes no more than 2 minutes
- Install the free dropbox application on your computer and / or your mobile device
- This creates a folder on your computer which appears just like any other folder in your folder list. The magic here is that the contents of the dropbox folder sync across all the devices that have dropbox installed
- And there you have it … your data accessible on:
- The dropbox website when you log in
- Your computer app
- Your mobile device app
What’s even better is that you can share contents (of your choosing) within the dropbox folder with friends and family via a web link which can be emailed to the recipient.
The recipient accesses the shared contents by simply clicking on the link from within their email.
How can this benefit you?
- No need to send files photos or videos via email again. You now have a “magic pocket” which follows you everywhere
- You never have to worry about forgetting your USB stick at home (in fact this is what prompted Drew Huston – the founder of Dropbox to come up with the idea)
- Dropbox also claims to have a high secure data encryption which keep the contents of your folder safe from prying eyes.